If you’re exploring Colorado mountain homes for sale, look at Alamosa County. Located in southern Colorado, Alamosa County is home to 15,000 residents and features 350 sunny days a year.
Alamosa County is lucky to have the Great Sand Dunes National Park, the largest dunes in North America! The Great Sand Dunes National Park is 30 square miles of massive dunes, diverse grasslands, wetlands, conifer and aspen forests, alpine lakes and tundra.
Alamosa County includes several cities: Alamosa, Hooper and Mosca. Alamosa is the county seat and home to Adams State University.
Fun fact about Alamosa county—it’s nearly all land because only 0.1% of the county is water, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
Alamosa County Real Estate Highlights
Check out Alamosa’s most popular events:
- Rio Frio Ice Fest is a 5K race across the frozen Rio Grande River in January. Then you can observe artists carve huge blocks of ice into impressive sculptures.
- SummerFest on the Rio kicks off summer in Alamosa and is held the first full weekend of June each year. The event features 150 vendors, concerts and entertainment.
- Alamosa Round-Up PRCA Rodeo has the elements that rodeos are famous for: champion cowboys, bull riding, cattle drive and even a demolition derby.
- San Luis Valley Beat the Heat BBQ is a sanctioned Kansas City Barbecue Society and Rocky Mountain Barbecue Association State Championship event. Treat yourself to BBQ, beer and green chili, live music, kid’s games and family entertainment.
- Rails & Ales Brewfest combines classic rail equipment, rustic Rocky Mountain setting, live music, smoking hot BBQ and handcrafted brews from the region’s best.
- Early Iron Festival features more than 500 vintage cars that are restored, heavily modified, or gently used. The festival includes a banquet and plenty of other food and beverages for the event.
Mosca is your stop for lodging, food and gas on your way to and from the Great Sand Dunes. Plus you can feed crocodiles and alligators at Mosca’s Colorado Gator Reptile Park. You can also see snakes, tortoises, geckos and iguanas at the Colorado Gator Reptile Park.
If you want to learn more about Alamosa County, visit the following links:
- County government: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/alamosacounty/
- Alamosa Commission and Visitors Bureau: https://www.alamosa.org/
- Alamosa Wildlife Refuge: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/alamosa/
- School districts: