Custer County spans from the Sangre De Cristo Mountain Range on the west to Wetmore on the east and San Isabel on the southeast. The County seat is Westcliffe at an elevation of 7,888 feet and has a population of approximately 4,000 people. Silver Cliff, a former mining camp, is also located in Custer County and sits at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Custer County offers plenty of outdoor activities, including fishing, hiking, hunting, stargazing and camping. You can spot several 14,000 foot peaks, so the views can’t be beat!
In addition to the outdoor recreation, you can also enjoy the following events:
- Westcliffe kicks off summer with a Memorial Day parade on the Saturday of the holiday weekend.
- Westcliffe celebrates July 4th with a long list of activities, including a fundraiser breakfast, parade, car show, art vendors and fireworks.
- High Mountain Hay Fever Blue Grass Festival is a three-day musical celebration. Visitors camp out and enjoy music and charming Westcliffe.
- Sangre Star Festival invites stargazers from all over to Custer County. This year marks Westcliffe’s fifth year as Colorado’s first “International Dark Sky Community.” Custer County’s dark sky provides amazing stargazing opportunities. Celebrate the stars with festivities, speakers, music, workshops and camping as well as a variety of day and nighttime activities.
- High Altitude Horsepower Car Show brings car enthusiasts together in June. The local Rotary Club provides a pancake breakfast and you can check out food vendors, bounce house for the kids and Westcliffe’s shops while you vote for your favorite cars.
- Stampede Rodeo in Westcliffe includes a parade, dance, ranch rodeo and the stampede rodeo.
- Art in the Sangres is a fine art show and reception held each September.
- Silver Cliff Museum was built in 1879 and houses memorabilia and artifacts that depict the history of Silver Cliff Mining and history of Custer County. Visit the museum between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
If you’d like to explore more about custer county, visit:
- Custer County government: https://www.custercounty-co.gov/
- Westcliffe events:
- Town of Silver Cliff: https://www.silvercliffco.com/